James Milliken of Milliken Saint Kitts and Nevis

Biography of James Milliken of Milliken

James Milliken of Milliken (1710-1776) was Rector of the University from 1759 to 1761.

In 1733 George Houstoun sold the Johnstone estate to James' father James Milliken (d 1741), who changed its name to "Milliken". James Milliken Jnr was a partner in the South Sugar House in Glasgow and inherited his father's sugar estates in St Kitts. He sponsored many road-building and other improvements in and around the village of Kilbarchan.


James Milliken of Milliken
Plantation Owner

Born 1710, Nevis.
Died 6 June 1776.
University Link: Rector
Occupation categories: plantation owners; sugar manufacturers
Record last updated: 1st Apr 2008

Country Associations

Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Kitts and Nevis
Place of Birth

University Connections

University Roles